Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why I'm So Pumped About Going to Sydney!


I'm going to Sydney this weekend to work at the Sydney Adventure Travel & Backpackers Expo, on the Discover Tasmania desk. Then I get 2 days to just be at tourist. I've only been to Sydney twice before - somehow I've never had many opportunities to make it up there. The first time was farewelling Adrian in April, when we whizzed across the harbour in a ferry, and had a bit of a look at Circular Quay. The second time was a week after that, when I flew out of Sydney for Europe. I didn't see anything but the airport and a hotel. So, this weekend I finally get to see the city. Why is that so exciting, you might ask?

Well, the answer is Ruth Park. My life-long love. Since I was a little kid, I've adored Ruth Park's novels, most of which are set in Sydney. You know when a book just gets you? Something about her writing just appeals to me in a huge way - they evoke something that no other writers can! And for this reason, I am devoted to Ruth Park novels for the rest of my life. They may only be simple Australian stories, but they are my kind of story. I love them.

I particularly like the way she evokes a sense of place, and a love for her characters. After first reading the Harp in the South (my favourite) when I was a kid, I remember desperately wanting to go to Surry Hills and Narrabeen, just because I so desperately missed the people and places once I'd finished the book - it's always a sad thing to finish one of her books. They are that good. To me, anyway.

I wish I could meet her - she's still alive as far as I know. She wrote her first novels in the 1940s, when she was living in Surry Hills with her husband D'Arcy Niland (he wrote The Shiralee - and, on a bizarre note, my current boss Jen is related to him! I was so excited to find that out). So this weekend I'm going to explore the Rocks, where Playing Beatie Bow was set, and hopefully I'll get to Surry Hills as well as catch a bus to Narrabeen (where parts of Harp in the South were set). Childhood dreams come true! I'm a little obsessed, aren't I?

2 comments:

BSJ-rom said...

Well I'm excited for you in my usual over the top, excited sort of way. It'll be awesome - and you'll have to report back on the accuracy of the writing, and add in the historical context. But more importantly, does the book serve the place or does the place serve the book? It doesn't really matter what the "real" Surrey Hills is like if the one that has been created makes the novel work.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Bridget said...

Oooh, a backpacker expo...I hope you put into good practice the art of being as cheap of possible and stocking up on loads of useless expo free stuff! An art I'm sure you perfected (if you're anything like me)during your time backpacking Europe!

I hope Sydney was fab :)