Sunday, November 15, 2009

It sure has been a long time...

Nearly a year in fact! On a couple of recent occasions I've had thoughts and ideas that are bloggable so it's about time I made the effort to write them here.

My interests tend to happen in bursts. I used to write on my blog a lot, and then I had a dry period (maybe due to lack of inspiration) and then I got into it again and then sure enough was bored of it again.

From the age of about 14 I wrote in a diary quite regularly. This is most awesome and I totally recommend it because now I have the pleasure of reading back over my teenage musings and laughing a lot! Throughout my mid-teens I thought my life was far more dramatic than it was, which makes for some great reading! So I definitely recommend writing in a diary - especially when you're a teenager and you have a crazy imagination.

Anyway, I kept this up, writing in my diary whenever I had something to write about, until about last year - in fact, it was when Adrian went to Bolivia. Since then I haven't written a thing - I just can't bring myself to! It all seems like too much effort, or unnecessary, or something. This is a bit sad, because when I look back later on in life there will be a big patch of nothing, and I'll never know what I was thinking/doing for all of that time!

Maybe I've grown out of it? I truly thought that I'd be writing in a diary until I was really old. Why does it suddenly seem so inappropriate?

3 comments:

Chris said...

I dunno why it seems silly. You really should get back to it.

But tell yourself you are journalling and that will make you feel more like an adult and therefore more inclined to do it... perhaps.

I journal reasonably often, and I love it!

Astrid said...

I only at best had bursts of keeping a diary. It's interesting to get insgiht into one section in my life.

In fact. Your blog post has just reminded me of a diary I kept on a random website for a while. I should probaly look that up. I once accidently deleted one I had on a floppy disk. I went to attach it to a email in hotmail, just to keep it there. Hotmail I learnt, does not save attachments to its server unless the email is sent. What a hard way to learn that lesson.

Now I send random photos or insights to evernote on my iphone or computer. For me at the moment, this works best.

Of course renae you must remeber the public things record these days: facebook, twitter and blogging (if you haven't lapsed). Reading through facebook will always provide some insight, as long as we still have access to it in 10-20 years time.

Renae said...

Aww sorry Astrid, but I disagree! There is nothing that beats holding a journal in your hands that you have written in years ago! The digital kind just can't beat it. And it's so much more fulfilling to sit down with pen and paper! Where is your romanticism! :p