Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Belgium, Land of Chocolate Things




It's actually a while ago now it seems! I haven't been able to get to any cheap internet for ages. But after Paris, I went to Bruges in Belgium. I spent 4 nights there. Quite awhile really. It was a beautiful town but pretty cold when I was there.. I mostly browsed (and bought).. in the chocolate shops, of which there were heaps! Every second shop in some streets was a chocolate shop! On the first day in Bruges I went on the hostel's free walking tour, and that was good. It was led by a local girl who talked about some of the legends in the town (probably made up for tourists??) Belgium is interesting though.. they speak Flemish and German and French. How confusing for the poor kids who have to learn all of those, plus English, in primary school. After traveling over here, I've come to really wish Australian schools taught more languages! I desperately want to learn French and Spanish now. Anyways, here are some photos.

2 comments:

adrian said...

I was expecting more photos of chocolate!!
Yes I agree it would be good for Australian schools to teach more language but which? We're well tucked away down under and it's a choice as to which country you'd visit.
It would have been good to learn Spanish earlier but at age 14 would I have known I'd need it?!
You almost need to commit to visiting the country before you can commit to learning the language. It's a pickle no doubt about it. A!

Renae said...

I like the romantic languages I've decided.. French, Italian and Spanish. German is not what you'd call romantic.