Saturday, April 26, 2008

And the Danish find a reason to laugh at the Australian!

Amaliensborg Palace


Well I'm in Bremen now, but since I last posted, I have been in Copenhagen for 2 days. Ditte and I left Bornholm and went back to her apartment in the capital. The next morning, she had planned a cycling trip, into the city, around the sights, and back. That was 12km!! Ok, so to some people that is probably nothing, but I ride a bike, on average, about 3 times a year, and for about 200 metres each time. My bike has no gears and cannot go very fast.


The Little Mermaid

I tried to explain to Ditte and Jacob that Australians don't cycle cos we have too many hills, but they didn't believe me. When they saw me ride a bike, they believed me! We rode down to the nearby shops and back for a start, and I nearly died. My legs were like jelly.. oh no, I thought, how will I make it into Copenhagen and back.. I will surely die. But, to cut a long story short, I made it!! When I got used to using gears, of course. But I was in SO much pain afterwards.


Tivoli

We went to Tivoli, to Amaliensborg Palace where the queen lives, to the Little Mermaid (just a statue covered in Japanese tourists, not sure why it's famous), and to the church where Fred and Mary married, among other things. At Amaliensborg Palace, Ditte wanted to take a photo of me with a guard (there is no visible security, no gates, just a few guards!).. so I walked up to a gate near the guard and he said, surprisingly in English 'excuse me. No closer than one and a half metres, ok?' It was hilarious. That's all the security there appeared to be! And the queen was home, cos the flag was raised.


So to describe Denmark, from what I saw: beautiful green countryside, STACKS of those wind turbines for clean energy, lots of recycling, spotless streets, red rooves, uniform brick apartment blocks, and bakeries! Very clean, pretty, neat place.

1 comment:

BSJ-rom said...

I think you should have specified that it was in Tassie that there are too many hills. Just come back from Perth and it's dead flat...