Monday, April 28, 2008

The Nice Side of Bremen!

So, to begin with I found Bremen quite unfriendly, because I hadn't gotten to know anyone who wasn't staying in my accommodation, and these German people did seem a bit stand off-ish! But on Sunday at 4pm I went to IBC (International Baptist Church) of Bremen, which I'd discovered on the internet. It was an international service so therefore it was in English! There were people from England, South Africa, Ireland, Australia, Kenya, Malaysia, and quite a few residents from Bremen, who had decided to go to an English-speaking service.

When the service started, they invited any people who were there for the first time to stand up.. so I had to stand up and say 'I'm Renae, from Australia'.. and they all clapped and cheered, which was kind of sweet! So anyway, they were super welcoming.. more welcoming than any church I've been to in Australia. We had coffee afterwards and I was able to talk to a girl called Alex about Christianity in Europe. I told her that my preconception was that it was very secular.. and surprisingly, she agreed and said yeah, it's awful. I think that church is doing an amazing job, being Christians in a city where there might not be as many Christians as there are at home. And they're having a big Christian conference soon in Bremen, called Christival (see the comment by Christian on my last blog entry). Anyway, due to the topics of some of their seminars, they've had heaps of opposition. But they're still really enthusiastic about it, and so they should be.. as the pastor said in his talk, God's people always keep multiplying despite opposition.

After church I went with 3 others, all of which live in Bremen, to get icecream, and I heard more about Christival and how Bremen isn't quite so starved of Christian influence as I first thought! Still more secular than here, but there are churches who are doing amazing things and who embrace new people who come in.. and that's pretty cool. Afterwards a Bremen guy called Christian and I got take-away from a döner shop and went down to the Weser River, where we had a really good long conversation, and I learnt a lot. The Christian people I met in Bremen provided a breath of fresh air in what I thought was a fairly unfriendly place.. and, it was super encouraging to realise that in any city across the world, God is no more distant (something Adrian pointed out to me as well). God's still carrying out his plans.. that is really clear.

So, this morning I caught the train to Rostock. A lot of people have said 'why on earth are you going there??' The main reason they give is that it's East Germany. And to be honest, I really don't know why I wanted to come here! But it's ok. Same with Bremen.. but I know NOW why God took me there. Anyway, here I am! It does have a different look to Bremen. In my hostel, there is me and two guys in their 50s. I have my own room. It is very quiet! This is not a tourist place. I originally intended to stay 7 nights so I could just relax, but that is way too long! I think I'll stay 2 nights and maybe head to Berlin early, if I can find accommodation.

The photos are from my hostel here in Rostock.. it is really nice. Go to my photo gallery for more pics. Hope you're all well! Love from north-east Germany.

4 comments:

adrian said...

glad to see that hostel was nice, and especially that you had your own room. I can´t wait to hear what Berlin´s like, and I shall read up about it (before u weren´t sure where you´d end up).
take care, adrian.

Elizabeth said...

Look's a bit too cold for a dip there.
Nice artwork in that room.
Don't eat too much chocolate.


Winston.

ckjolly said...

RENAE! ah, crap! You should have told them at IBC, Bremen, that you know me! Many of the women from the church came to our wedding in Hannover! They know us!

Elizabeth said...

In the 1960s there was a song called 'West of the Wall' by Toni Fisher, about a young couple separated by The Wall....and now you have seen it.
Winston