Sunday, May 18, 2008

Salzburg So Far... And Other Things


Salzburg is really nice. I probably should be in a better mood to right about it (I'm grumpy cos the dude next to me is still smoking, and It's making me mad).. but 'really nice' doesn't really do it justice. It is gorgeous here.. up there with the best places I've been. I'm staying 4 nights. The first day, when we got here, I intended to walk up to the fortress, but ended up walking around behind it, and getting the most breath-taking view of snow-covered mountains. It was such a foreign sight to me. Yesterday I watched Sound of Music for the first time (well I'd seen half of it before) and then went on the Sound of Music tour. At first I couldn't help but think everyone was being obscenely touristy by singing the songs and skipping through fields, but then I decided I had better be an obscenely touristy tourist too, if I was gonna really enjoy the very expensive tour! So, we danced in front of the pergola that Liesel and Rolf dance in, and took other equally touristy shots! I also went on a rodelbahn, which is a bit like tabogganing, however that's spelt. Such a fantastic view from there.. green fields, snow-capped mountains and blue lakes.. it looked just as I imagined the Austrian countryside. All in all, a good day! Then we had Wiener schnitzel last night. Mmmm.

Other things.. it's been interesting to see how the English language is perceived here. I've asked a few locals if they find it annoying to be forced to learn English, and to speak it to us tourists who don't know their language. Like I felt guilty to begin with, speaking English to Germans and therefore forcing them to speak it.. when I'm in THEIR country! So I've been trying to use German as much as possible, and just be sensitive to the fact. But one guy back in Bremen said "English is the universal language, so we just have to accept it." In Australia, I never realised that I have such an advantage, speaking English. All the non-English speakers are forced to learn a second language. Doesn't really seem fair! But I guess we're fortunate to have grown up in a country that speaks the universal language! France will be interesting. I don't think they'll agree with me about English being the universal language..

I like this lifestyle. To begin with, I wanted to be back home, in my room, with all my things.. but now, I really like this. I think I've actually forgotten what living in Hobart was like, to some extent. In a sense, I sort of get into the habit of thinking that this really isn't that different! But it is! I move every few days, and every morning when I wake up, I go exploring new places. It's really a privelege I didn't earn or anything. Having said that, I'm still really looking forward to going home, as much as I love it here! I'll probably want to be back in Europe, when I do get home, but right now I'd be happy either way. Both Europe and Hobart are very cool places, and I'm happy in either! Except Hobart has slightly more normal people. And slightly less scary individuals too. I am grateful for that!

4 comments:

Astrid said...

no the french won't my dad said that whereas for new words to do with computers and stuff most countries adopt the english word eg hard drive the french have a department dedicated to coming up with french words for the english word instead.

what kind of scary people have you come across? miss you so you better come back to hobart

adrian said...

claro! pero algunas de tus amigas son muy loco tambien! haha..

glad you´re having a good time.. i won´t tell anyone that you´ve been a goof taking cheesy shots and posting them on the internet. ;)

go hard or go home.. love from steve.

Renae said...

Who is Steve??

Elizabeth said...

Renae,
Thanks for all your travel tales. I will think of THAT pergola in a different way now.
Pity about the smoking!
Looks like you are really having fun.
Winston.