Thursday, May 29, 2008

Southern Germany.. Munich and Stuttgart


I wasn't that keen on Munich, actually! I think I can put it down to the weather and a certain visit to a concentration camp. It was freezing and fairly wet for the 3 nights I was there, and there just didn't seem to be that much to do in the city, if you were a tourist who didn't like beer. I did like the Englischer Garten, which was absolutely huge, and which it took a couple of hours to walk through! I did stop at a beer garden for lunch. Sauerkraut is actually reeeaaally nice! I don't have much more to say about Munich. I couldn't really afford the train to get out to Neuschwanstein Castle, so I gave it a miss. But I did go out to Dachau Concentration Camp. I probably should've taken a tour, so I could get a more balanced, maybe not so full-on gruesome picture of the place. But I walked through the museum and just felt sick after that. I thought I'd heard pretty much all there is to hear about the Holocaust and anti-semitism, and I didn't think I could still be shocked by it. But I couldn't stand being in that place, and left pretty soon after arriving. I'd never really had that reaction to history before.. I felt sick.

Stuttgart was one of the stops on Busabout that was not so popular, so only 3 of us got off the bus there. It is a really nice little city, and I enjoyed it heaps! Great shopping, and amazingly good ice-cream. I only stayed 2 nights though. One one day they had a street festival type thing, with a band playing Robbie Williams and other contemporary stuff! It's funny how so many of them don't speak English, but when it comes to music, that's all they sing! I also bought a mini Eiffel Tower from a flea market here, which is kinda ironic cos I hadn't yet been to Paris. The guy laughed when I bought it and explained that I was going there tomorrow.. but it was 50c, so much cheaper than in Paris! The highlight of Stuttgart was getting my OWN ROOM the second night!! The single room was only a bit bigger than the size of a bed, but it had a TV, so I got to watch CNN and the Eurovision song contest, and actually spread out all my things and really relax. It was the best.

No comments: